Mission Statement

The Shenandoah Public Library

Library History

Thanks to Andrew Carnegie, Shenandoah residents enjoy life-long learning opportunities at Shenandoah Public Library. In 1903 Carnegie provided $10,000 to start the library. It formally opened August 2, 1905. As the years passed, progress made it possible to expand the library. In 1955, the library added an auditorium, a kitchenette and the present-day archives storage room. The library grew again in 1988 when Ivan and Caroline Wilson gave a gift funding the north wing.

Library Volunteers

    The time and talent of our volunteers help keep SPL running.  They not only serve the in-house needs at SPL, they also provide a vital link between the library and the community.
    Dependability tops the list of characteristics considered when a potential candidate fills out the volunteer form.  Open-mindedness also proves to be an asset, plus any special abilities.  Volunteers observe regular work rules of the library and agree to follow the library's confidentiality position when dealing with patrons.
    Individuals may volunteer for short-term projects or on-going regular service.  Currently, volunteers work with the Books Sandwiched In reading program and our service to area senior living centers, Seniors Read.
    Other activities reviewed in our volunteer policy include:

For more details, view a PDF of the Volunteer Policy.